7.03.2006

Weekend Wrap-Up

i've been wanting to post for a while now, but things have been crazy and when i've had some down time, the wirless connection at my aunt's house was lost. i'm at The Queen Bee's house right now, and using Grain of Salt's computer. it's strange because i'm so used to my laptop and i'm using his desktop. also, i just don't see why more people don't use Firefox!! alas, beggars can't be choosy.

so, like i'd said a few days ago, we had our family reunion this past weekend. as i said in previous post, my mother was one of 11. well, my maternal grandmother, The Queen Bee, is the oldest of 13 who were the overspring of parents who were married for over 60 years. well, my aunts and uncles get together pretty often and since none of them have any children, it's not really realistic for us to have a reunion. also, we all know one another, so most of my out of town aunts and uncles didn't come. however, while i know all of my great aunts and uncles, it's very hard for me to match them with their offspring. anyway, so we had "hospitality night" at a local YMCA. my aunt and i got there late because well, we weren't feeling like going. something about it just wasn't exciting. so, we got there about 15 minutes before it was supposed to be over. why we had the first night at the Y instead of say, a hotel is beyond me. one of my great aunts planned it, and she was rushing us out of the place by 9:00, since that's all the time she'd paid for.

the second day was the picnic. again, i, Brighter Day (my aunt), Rainbow Not So Brite, and Our Shining Prince (my brother) were very late. The Queen Bee thought we weren't coming. lol... we got there just in time to get some bbq (which wasn't bad), some side dishes (5 on a scale of 10) and a few store bought desserts (i'm truly The Queen Bee's grandchild as i noted they were store bought... what can i say?). the best part was seeing my grandmother with her sisters and brothers lined up in front of the family. it's truly a blessing to see them all alive and well.
Sunday morning we attendes service at the church i grew up at it. it made my heart glad to see so many of us together. there's just something about seeing being in the midst of family (regardless of how well i know them) that does my heart good. it's funny, because it was at the church service that i noticed the family as a whole is pretty subdued. we're not a shouty, hootin' and hollerin' kind of people. we sit and observe, taking it all in. i've know that i was that way and that my aunts and uncles, mother, and maternal grandparents are/were that way, but to know that i truly came by it honest is kinda cool.

Sunday night Brighter Day, Our Shining Prince, and i went to the huge fireworks display that her church puts on. though i don't really believe in celebrating the 4th, the display was beautiful. while my aunt helped clean up, my brother and i waited. while we were sitting there, this dude tried to holla at me. but, his game was whack.

Why was his game whack? well, really because he seemed to have no game at all. so, there I was sitting and waiting, and he came by and asked me how I was doing. I told him I was fine, and asked how he was doing. He said he was good, and had come out to see the fireworks. (as if we weren’t all there for that purpose. Lol… but, whatever.) then he said, “what about you?” I started to explain to him, but I have a soft voice that doesn’t carry that well, and he had to come closer to hear me. after I explained to him that I was also there to see the display and that we were waiting on my aunt, who was helping with clean-up. Then dude told me how he was from Broken Arrow (a Tulsa suburb) and had went to schools there and lived there almost all of his life. Then he asked me how long I’d lived in the area. I told him I was from Tulsa but lived in Atlanta. When I told him that he kind of stared at me for a minute, as if he didn’t believe me!! ok, whatever… after that pause, he said, “But you were born and raised, here, right?” uhm, yeah… so, as he was talking to me, he managed to tell me the following: he was originally from Flint, Michigan (and that his mother could tell me about the city), that his birthday was coming soon, that he graduated from high school in 1998, and what high schools his brother’s girlfriend children attended. For some reason he was very interested in what schools I attended because he asked me what elementary school and high school I attended while in Tulsa. (note he never asked about higher education.) What made the experience even stranger is after he would ask me a question or say something about myself, I would respond, and then there would be a long pause. And he kept looking at me as if he wanted me to say or do something else. (i don't what he was expecting. it wasn't as if he had anything interesting to talk about. i mean, i wasn't expecting him to tell me he had discovered the cure for cancer. but to talk about grade and high school when we've been out of high school for at least 6 years is problematic.) Now, I’m not good at making small talk, and I figured that since he approached me, he could make more of an effort. I guess I figured incorrectly. So, after a particularly long pause, he said, “well, I’m gonna go now, I gotta get up and go to work in the morning.” So, I said, “ok, have a good night.” To be honest, the whole situation was confusing, and I’m truly of the mind that just because a man speaks to me does not mean he wants me. also, since this dude never asked me for my name, offered his or asked for my phone number. so, I didn’t want to assume that he was trying to get at me. so, I called Mr. Not Right Now, and asked him what he thought. He confirmed that dude was trying to holla, though he’d failed miserably. not to mention that i think he had a tooth missing... lol... i never fuck with Tulsa dudes when i come home. they never seem to have their shit together...

my luggage was found! i got my bag back today. i was so upset over that because i don't have the money to replace about $500 worth of clothes, shoes, underwear, toiletries, and a lot of other stuff that was in the bag. while i was worrying about the bag i also developed a rash on my neck. where it came from God only knows. my aunt said it's probably stress related due to all the things i've been going through. The Black Martha Stewart, one of my aunts, is supposed to put together some herbal remedies and give me a facial later on tonight.
the issue with my ankle continues. i'm probably going to have to break down and go to see a doctor. it's gotten better, but still not where it should be.

i hope everyone had a good weekend!

13 comments:

Freaky Deaky said...

I hope you're having fun. Were you at least nice when you shot down the dude with the missing tooth? What is it with women and teeth nowadays? They can't be crooked, rotten, missing, or any other number of things, lol.

You definitely need some stress relief. I hope you get it. :o)

blkbutterfly said...

i'm always nice when i turn a dude down. well, unless he comes at me in a disrespectful way. outside of that, i don't see any reason to be a bitch. actually, i wasn't quite sure his tooth was missing. the way the light hit, it could've been a gap, albeit a large one. i like to err on the side of caution and assume it was a missing tooth. LOL! i actually planned to post about why his game was whack, but was short on time when creating the post. i may update it a little later.
i am having fun. as for the stress relief, i'm starting to get some of that. too bad my houseboy doesn't travel. who knows what kind of stress relief you'd come up with. ;)

apprentice said...

Hey I'm glad you're getting time to relax a little - the facial sounds lovely, I hope you enjoy it.
I always think it's really funny how gestures and things come down family lines. My son laughs just like his cousin, yet she's 17 years older and lives in the US and they hardly see each other.

I also like the family names you give everyone, my sis was married to a waster called Richard, who was a total shite, I dubbed him Richard the Turd, which was funny 'til she had to go and tell him.

After that facial some gorgeous prince will hit on you for sure.
As the mother of a son I'm glad you let him down gently, I think it must take a lot of courage to approach a girl, and face rejection - maybe that's why some are so hopeless at it.

Take care

Freaky Deaky said...

Well, it's nice that you turned him down gently. Approaching women, especially a pretty one, and being rejected is only slightly less traumatic emotionally then castrating oneself with a rusty butterknife is physically. I'd prefer the rusty butterknife because at least I can block that pain out eventually and even repress it.

I look forward to hearing your commentary on his game or lack thereof.

Keep messing with me and I will make a road trip, lol. I'm sure I could think of a few ways to help you out with the stress relief. I'm going to walk away now while there's still a chance of me being even remotely good.

Happy 4th of July!

4EverJennayNay said...

happy 4th!

i know what you mean about fire fox.

i have done absolutely nothing for the holiday except sit on my hind parts. i guess i should be packing.

blkbutterfly said...

apprentice: yes, it was quite nice. i even got a back massage! lol @ Richard the Turd. i can imagine he didn't like that too much when your sis told him. oh well, you gotta call a spade, a spade. as for the names, thank you! i usually have a hard time coming up with names, but when it comes to the family it's relatively easy.

freaky: a lot of my male friends have told me how difficult it can be to approach women. and it's that very reason why i try to be kind when approached. and when i reject. also, given all the disparaging things that men say about women today, i feel compelled to prove them wrong.
i can't help but push you to the edge! you bring it that side of me out in the open. :)
oh, and i updated the post. it's in purple. happy 4th to you too!

4EverJennayNay: every time i use IE i feel like i'm in the dark ages! lol... just kidding. it's not quite that bad.
don't feel bad about doing nothing for the holiday. we haven't done a thing all day. i didn't get around to taking a shower until about 4:30. lol... i'm also bad about procrastinating when it comes to packing...

Freaky Deaky said...

Do I really bring that side of you out in the open? I'm flattered and blushing now too. Think I'll go kick some puppies and knock down a couple of old ladies to get my edge back and maintain my mean reputation.

I've gotten a few hits from Oklahoma and the cities there have some interesting names. I think Broken Arrow sound kind of cool.

Give the dudes in Tulsa a chance. Maybe you're the impetus he needs to get his shit together and live up to that potential we all have. Sounds like he lost his nerve. I'm sure he's kicking himself as we speak. Small talk is hard for some people. Making interesting small talk is even more difficult, in my opinion.

blkbutterfly said...

well, i won't say that u bring it completely out of me, but in a way remind me that it's cool to be that way. from time to time i repress that side. i suppose because i think that's not what "ladies do." silly, i know...
oh, as long as you have your current user pic, i'll never think you're a complete meanie. ;)
yes, OK cities have some very interesting names, mainly due to the Native American influences.
as for giving Tulsa guys a chance (i assume you meant regarding dating), i don't feel that i should have to lower my standards and wait until he gets his shit together. i don't say that to imply that i'm perfect, but i don't feel like it's too much to ask for to have a man who's ambitious, intelligent and open-minded. however, when i come home i all too often the guys my age are lacking these qualities. on the other hand, i agree with and your statement about perhaps i can be the needed impetus. i don't mind being that for a friend, but for a man i'd like to date (even casually) he has to bring something to the table.
as for the dude in my story, i totally understand about not being good at small talk. hell, i suck at it my damn self. and yes, interesting small talk is very difficult, if not nearly impossible. and really, i would have looked past the lackluster conversation if he had a) come across as kinda cool. instead he seemed kinda strange, and b) if he asked for my number. he didn't do that and i wasn't gonna offer it just to be nice. oh, but wait, there is the missing tooth issue... that would be a deal breaker. dude needed to have all of his teeth or a REALLY good reason for missing any.
i probably read way more into your last comment than i should have. it just dredged up some things i'd had on my mind lately.

blkbutterfly said...

well, i won't say that u bring it completely out of me, but in a way remind me that it's cool to be that way. from time to time i repress that side. i suppose because i think that's not what "ladies do." silly, i know... oh, as long as you have your current user pic, i'll never think you're a complete meanie. ;)

yes, OK cities have some very interesting names, mainly due to the Native American influences.

as for giving Tulsa guys a chance (i assume you meant regarding dating), i don't feel that i should have to lower my standards and wait until he gets his shit together. i don't say that to imply that i'm perfect, but i don't feel like it's too much to ask for to have a man who's ambitious, intelligent and open-minded. however, when i come home i all too often the guys my age are lacking these qualities. on the other hand, i agree with and your statement about perhaps i can be the needed impetus. i don't mind being that for a friend, but for a man i'd like to date (even casually) he has to bring something to the table.

as for the dude in my story, i totally understand about not being good at small talk. hell, i suck at it my damn self. and yes, interesting small talk is very difficult, if not nearly impossible. and really, i would have looked past the lackluster conversation if he had a) come across as kinda cool. instead he seemed kinda strange, and b) if he asked for my number. he didn't do that and i wasn't gonna offer it just to be nice. oh, but wait, there is the missing tooth issue... that would be a deal breaker. dude needed to have all of his teeth or a REALLY good reason for missing any.
i probably read way more into your last comment than i should have. it just dredged up some things i'd had on my mind lately.

Freaky Deaky said...

Aww, why did you have to put a condition on it? Well, I'll take what compliments and flattery I can get, LOL. I don't think being more vocal makes you any less ladylike at all. I'm glad that I bring out something good you in you. Damn, you just shot my meanie image down with that comment. Maybe I need to look for scarier teddy bears or something. ;o)

Don't look at it so much as lowering your standards. It's more like putting them on hold and reserving judgement. Yeah, I like that. Sure it's nice to have someone who is already there or even ahead of you. Since the beginning of time women have inspired men to better themselves. With the right woman in his life and by his side, who knows how far these guys can go. Just something to think about, lol.

When a guy sees his game crashing and burning very few will be able to keep focused enough to get the number. Was Mr. Not Right Now jealous of the attention? Well before he heard about how lame dude's game was?

blkbutterfly said...

well, you know there's usually a stipulation with everything. but, i'm glad that you're able to glean a compliment from it. :) lol @ scarier teddy bears. isn't that an oxy moron?

"It's more like putting them on hold and reserving judgement." ah, what a great use of semantics! lol... all kidding aside, i see your point, and i agree with it to an extent, but there are some things i can't comprise on. kinda like how you can't comprise on the issue of emotionally availability in the women you date.

of course Mr. Not Right Now was jealous. lol... i told him about it the night it happened, and then he asked me to recount the story again the next day! he told me a few weeks ago he was going to make an effort to not become jealous when i mention other men. so, i was testing him and well, it looks like he needs to put forth more effort!

Freaky Deaky said...

GRRRRR, you're making it hard for me to be mean. ;o) I suppose it is an oxymoron although I have seen a skit of a perverted version of the Snuggle teddy bear. It was funny and a little disturbing.

Point taken. I suppose if you're truly feeling somebody and want to be with that person there either already what you want or you just accept or compromise. Otherwise, blog about them, lol. Just kidding.

Looks like you have some meanie in you. You wouldn't be a little mad, sad, or something if he was apathetic to Mr. Tulsa hitting on you?

blkbutterfly said...

lol, i will definitely blog about those experiences. as a matter of fact, when funny or crazy things happen i kinda like it, that way i can have a story to tell (whether it be via the blog or in conversations with friends and family members).
don't we all have a mean streak? i just choose to display mine in a more passive aggressive manner.
if Mr. Not Right Now was apathetic i'd be totally shocked, first and foremost. but, really, i'd also be glad. we have discussions time and time again regarding how i don't think its fair for him to get jealous when we are not in an exclusive relationship and he's not trying to really take it to that next level. also, jealousy is something that actually makes me very nervous. maybe i'm paranoid, but i always think that it can easily go to the extreme. that's one of the reasons dating kinda scares me. oh, that reminds me, i'm supposed to do a post on that...