8.26.2006

Book List

so, i was flitting from blog to blog today, half asleep most of the time due to the medicine i'm taking to help with this toothache (which is also causing a major ear ache; i never thought i'd be be looking forward to my root canal on Monday) and i see that apprentice has tagged me. this is going to sound so nerdy, but i got all excited. why? she's the first to ever tag me!! (without me having to mention it, Freaky :P) as you can see, it's the little things that make me happy right now.

1. One book that changed your life?
well, i can't think of one book. however, when i was a freshman at Spelman, we had to take a year long class called African Diaspora and the World. we read a lot of books, poems and articles that discussed race, class and gender. that class really opened my eyes to those issues and began my love affair with Black thought. a part of me wants to pursue a Ph.D. in Africana or African American studies and be like the next bell hooks. but, given my love-hate relationship with grad school, i don't know if that is the best idea.

2. One book you've read more than once?
Paradise by Toni Morrison (everytime i've read it, i discover something new)

3. One book you'd want on a desert island?
probably an anthology of short stories. i get bored easily and even if the writer is fabulous, i'd need something to break the monotony.

4. One book that made you laugh?
White Teeth by Zadie Smith

5.One book that made you cry?
hmmm... that's a tough one. books rarely make me cry, even if the subject matter is really sad. i think the last one that brought at least a tear to my eye was Push by Sapphire. Precious's situation was so fucked up... i don't even like to think about it.

6. One book that you wish you had written?
The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison

7. One book you wish had never been written?
it's a tie. i really wish that On the Down Low: A Journey into the Lives of 'Straight' Black Men Who Sleep with Men had never seen a publisher's desk. while i didn't read it, i feel like it only served to whip people (mainly Black women) into hysteria. at the end of the day, it didn't really touch on the underlying reasons why some Black men are on the DL (let's not even get on the point that Black men aren't the only ones on the DL) and that we as a Black community need to do a better job of addressing homosexuality (really, sexuality in general), gender roles, and homophobia; if the book had focused on that, it would have actually useful. the second book is B'more Careful by Shannon Holmes. now, i usually don't read those "urban novels" but a few years ago i made the mistake of reading B'more Careful. as and after i read it, all i could say is "Where was an editor??!!" lord have mercy, it was terrible. i wanted to take a red pen and edit the entire book. not to mention the plot was predictable and the characters were poorly developed. the list could go on and on. really, though i shouldn't have expected anything more.

8. One book you are currently reading?
sadly, nothing. i really need to get back into reading again. my work life balance is very unbalanced, with my life goals and desires taking a back seat to work stuff. that has to change.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Mr. Not Right Now brought me two books when he came for his ill fated visit last month. one was the latest Harry Potter. i'd really wanted it and i've been meaning to read it. but, due to what i said at #8, it'd been put on the back burner. also, i considered burning it since he was the one who gave it to me.

10. Five people I am tagging:
hmmm... i prefer to be tagged as opposed to tagging. is that selfish of me? or just lazy? lol... so, if you see this meme and wanna do it, be my guest. :)

16 comments:

Freaky Deaky said...

For the record, you do me sooooooo wrong. See if I ever put myself out there again. (Folds my arms and pouts as I walk away.)

Preferring to be tagged sounds like a little bit of both to me. ;o)

Ladynay said...

I won't do this cuz I am not much of a reader. I have to be in "the mood" and it hasn't bit me in a long time.

apprentice said...

Great list, and lots of detail too.
You've made me want to read Paradise. Hats off to you for not tagging, I'm just so conventional lol! Jump off a cliff and I'd be right behind you :)

God luck tomorrow hope with the root work.

TTD said...

nothing wrong w/ being a little selfish.. i always heard good things about "bmore careful" but i was never pressed to read it.. you just confirmed that i definitely dont wanna read it!

4EverJennayNay said...

we are -->HERE<-- on that DL book.

I never read the book, and have no intention to either. the DL is just another word for "the closet" and every race has one.

The author came and spoke at ECU once when I was there. He was past wack.

blkbutterfly said...

freaky: i'm sorry! what can i do to make it up to you? and you're right, it is a bit of both. oh well, such is life...

ladynay: it's ok. i used to read like books were going out of style and i've slowed down considerably. i really need to get back into the habit. i like reading new things and gaining new perspectives.

apprentice: yeah, i was trying to keep it brief, but once i got on a roll, esp. regarding the whole DL book, it's hard to stop me. Paradise is a great read. ppl say that it's not her best work, and i can see their point, but it's still not a bad book at all. oh, and you're not being conventional. i was just being lazy! :)

ttd: this guy i know likes to say he's not selfish, just self considerate. lol... really, he's just selfish. you're right, a lot of ppl really like that book, and a certain level it is entertaining. kinda like watching the flavor of love. it's fun to read but you can't help but cringe at the ignorance.

4everjennaynay: i totally agree. i have a friend who does HIV/AIDS research (non medical) and we have great discussions about the topic. she and i went to dinner on friday, so i guess that's what fueled my diatribe about the book. lol @ "he was past wack." i've never seen him speak, but i can totally see that.

Freaky Deaky said...

I'll just lick my wounds and walk it off. I'll be okay...eventually...really.

I've seen this meme around and I've avoided it like the plague. Mainly because I don't love books that much. I used to read books from cover to cover in one sitting when I was younger. It's a shame I never learned how to speed read. Now, I have to be really bored or very interested in the subject to read the book. I've really slowed down on my book reading.

You shouldn't be selfish with me. After all sharing is caring and I'm special.

apprentice said...

Hey Freaky on reading, I wonder if it's a gender thing? My son now only reads for information on sports and the like. When he was younger he read a lot, but he's just sort of lost interest. But he does liosten to the radio, and of course there's TV so he's still pretty well informed.

I just hope he'll come back to it at some stage.

NegroPino™ said...

aS MUCH as I read I dont think i can do this one...it would make me think....I enjoyed B-more careful.now this ohter book i just finished reading one of them "hood books" had really bad typos on every page..it aggravated the shit out of me it was called Street Games.....but it was good..i gota get the sequel cuz i gotta know what happened to Limbo and Rhapsody.

Freaky Deaky said...

I'm not really sure if it's a gender thing. I used to devour books. If it even looked like it was interesting I read it. I know I read at least 500 books in elementary school alone and that's not including any of the text books. I'm pretty sure if I haven't read at least 1,000 books I'm pretty close to it. That slowed down significantly after the 8th grade. Now I'm lucky if I even get into double digits in terms of books I read for pleasure. I think it's mainly that I'd usually rather be doing something other than reading and that I haven't found many current books all that interesting.

Hi Zora! I didn't want to comment in your blog and not acknowledge the mistress of the house. ;o)

blkbutterfly said...

freaky: hello to you too! well, seeing as you've been avoiding this meme like the plague (which i find hilarious, by the way), then if i'd been unselfish and tagged you, you wouldn't have been too happy with that, right? and we can't have an unhappy Freaky, can we?

apprentice: that was a good question. i find that my brother's the same way.

negropino: lol @ "it would make me think." i certainly did have to do that when i did this and reach back into time. as for Street Games, you're better than me! i hate typos w/ a passion. even when i catch them in my blog, i go back and correct even the smallest ones. to see them in a published books blows my mind.

Freaky Deaky said...

I could have answered it but honestly my answers probably wouldn't be all that insightful, good, or even interesting. More than likely I still would've done it but I'd really have to think about it.

Yes, like the plague. I've seen people answer some of these questions with a LOT of details and when I realized I don't feel that strongly about books I just skipped it.

Me? It's your world, I'm just trying to live. LOL

apprentice said...

Thanks Freaky, and thanks for your indulgence BlkB. I think my son is just like you has too much else going on, especially sports.

BTW i here butterflies are having a great year over your side of the pond, so maybe that's an good oen for you ;)

blkbutterfly said...

freaky: i know what you mean about the detail. before i did it, i wasn't sure i could do it justice either. still not too sure that i did.

apprentice: are they really? hmmm... maybe that is a good sign. i sure could use some luck right now.

Freaky Deaky said...

I'll just lick my wounds and walk it off. I'll be okay...eventually...really.

I've seen this meme around and I've avoided it like the plague. Mainly because I don't love books that much. I used to read books from cover to cover in one sitting when I was younger. It's a shame I never learned how to speed read. Now, I have to be really bored or very interested in the subject to read the book. I've really slowed down on my book reading.

You shouldn't be selfish with me. After all sharing is caring and I'm special.

apprentice said...

Great list, and lots of detail too.
You've made me want to read Paradise. Hats off to you for not tagging, I'm just so conventional lol! Jump off a cliff and I'd be right behind you :)

God luck tomorrow hope with the root work.