3.20.2015

on & on

 Various occurrences in my life since the last time I blogged...

The woman who was doing my photography for Head Over Heels has gotten a new job. The only catch is, she can't go outside jobs without prior approval. :-( I'm not sure how that's going to work out for her since she has her own photography business. This also means that I'll either have to find a new photographer or get better at taking my own pictures. But, to be honest, my interest in Head Over Heels is waning. Well, the interest is still there, but I'm not able to focus as much energy on it because I'm trying to take care of other stuff.

Such as, acquiring a new job. Last week, I spoke with someone else in Tulsa. He's actually the person I'd be replacing if I got the position. (The position is only for two years, which is why he's leaving.) I actually spoke briefly with him last summer, so it was good to talk with him again and get more of a feel for his job and what to expect. So far, it sounds like it might be a good fit. So, we're moving to the next stage in the process, which is a visit to Tulsa the week after next so I can spend a day at the office. Actually, I think I'll also be meeting with other TFA alumni, to hear their perspective about what it's like to live and work in Tulsa. This visit is kinda starting to feel like a recruitment visit. Whatever the outcome, I hope it's swift and smooth. So far, I haven't told anyone (besides anyone reading this blog), that I'm being considered for the job. A part of me doesn't want to announce anything until I have an offer. If you're so inclined, please say a prayer, send good thoughts, or whatever it is that you do. :-)

Oh, I was also invited to apply for a position on the Advisory Board for a national non-profit. Apparently, I was invited due to work that I've been doing to here in Austin for TFA alumni of color. I'm a little nervous about applying because I feel like I haven't accomplished a lot in this first year, compared to other people in other regions. That being said, I'm still going to apply.

A few months ago, I formed a mastermind group with a few of my friends who are small business owners. I talked about that in detail here. We've met a total of three times so far, and so far, so good. I'm really hoping that everyone is feeling like the group is worthwhile. I talked with them about how I'm feeling overwhelmed with trying to keep Head Over Heels up and running, while also trying to start this consulting business. They gave me some really solid advice and I feel a lot better about trying to make it work. One thing that I decided is to go on summer hiatus from HoH. Last year, the summer was very slow and it was kinda discouraging. So, this time, I'll use the summer to think through my strategy for the fall. Also, if things go the way I want them to go, I'll be too busy this summer to devote a lot of time to HoH.

On the consulting front, I've started working with a graphic designer on my logo. There was a hiccup in the beginning, but we're on the same page now. So, I'm excited about the final outcome. I won't be able to actually show it until some other areas are in place. This logo is for my personal brand, which I'm finding is a lot easier to create than for a product based business. The one thing I'm working on overcoming is my fear of launching. Unlike a product based business, I'm putting my name and face out there and asserting that I'm qualified to be a consultant. I mean, I *am* qualified, but it makes me so nervous to step out there like that. I'm so accustomed to working behind the scenes, and I have to get away from being that way all of the time.

I've been on Spring Break this week, so I've had a lot of time to just think. In my last post, I talked about feeling that it's time to part ways with JE. That feeling hasn't left, and I finally got to the heart of what's bothering me: I've been settling. I've settled for less than what I want and need, but was calling it "compromise." When we first got together, I'll admit that I had some unrealistic expectations of relationships and living with someone else. I adjusted my expectations, but now I feel like I've accommodated too much.

ok, it's way past my bedtime. so, until next time...

4 comments:

Freaky Deaky said...

I wonder how long the permission process for your photographer will take? I'd guess as long as your business doesn't compete with her new employer's then you should be good. It's probably good time to start looking for someone else though.


So what happens after the two years? Is there any chance at the position being renewed, staying with the company, or will you be pounding the pavement on the job hunt? I'll be sending lots of good thoughts along with requests for money and gifts your way.


Summer hiatus? But what of me, the kids, and the dogs? I hope that you are busy making more money for OUR family. :oD On a serious note the hiatus might be good. If you don't miss it or come up with new ideas then life might be sending you a message. You could also be refreshed and reinvigorated with HoH. Maybe you can add scented & flavored Nuru gel to the line up. ;o)


So what field will you be consulting in? Education?

blkbutterfly11 said...

She's doing some head shots for me next month and said I could pay her with a gift card instead of a check. I'll ask then what the approval process is for product photography. The thing is, Austin photographers can be so expensive, which is why I was excited to find someone who did good work, but was also affordable.

So, the guy who's currently in the role will probably be staying with the company, but in another position. However, he said that even if that doesn't work out, he'll remain in Tulsa. Both he and his supervisor said that there aren't many people in the city with that skill set, so I'm sure finding another job won't be an issue. As for me, I'd like to use those two years to learn more and contribute to the work of the company, while also growing my consulting business. My ultimate goal is to work for myself full time, but I know that I need to plan for the long game. Even if I don't get the position in Tulsa, my goal is to be a full time business owner in two years.

Yes, that's also my thinking... that the hiatus will be a turning point.
I'll be working with non-profits, in education or otherwise. In my 9-5 job, I do a data analysis, survey design, etc. I want to get away from that minutiae and assist non-profits with determining how they'll measure impact.

ladynay said...

I am saying prayers and sending good thoughts your way!

blkbutterfly11 said...

Thanks, lady!