10.12.2006

Thursday Thoughts

  • yesterday was my 6 month blogging anniversary. for some reason it seems like i've been at this longer. a part of me wants to take a break from blogging, not because i don't like it, but i find i don't have much to say anymore. (well, not that i've ever had a lot to talk about.) i'm sure things will pick up soon.
  • my hair looks somewhat of a mess (the crown's grown super fast and is much longer than the rest; it looks strange). but, i'm hesitant to go to the hairdresser. there's a place that only does natural hair i've been to lately. however, each time i've been, i have a mini-debate with whomever the stylist is. they are under the impression that i either perm or press my hair despite the fact that i tell them it's been nearly 4 years since a relaxer touched my hair and over 3 years since it's been pressed. i mean, why would i lie about something like that? that's like lying to your doctor about your medical history; it'll only hurt you in the end. one of the sylists told me she'd never seen hair like mine before. uhmmm... ok.
  • as part of my job i co-manage 7 college students. they're all bright, ambitious and motivated people. so, i'm perplexed by the fact that they've been acting as if they don't know how to read. i sent them instructions on how to do something several weeks ago and it turns out they only been doing half of what the instructions said needed to be done in order for the task to be completed correctly. i communicate with them mainly via e-mail, and i've had to show a great deal of restraint in not cutting them down with my words.
  • it's almost 11 pm, which is my bedtime, but i'm not sleepy. i don't know what the deal is, but i've been having a terrible time going to sleep. earlier this week, i was in bed, lights out at 11 pm, and i tossed and turned, dozed off and woke up and when i looked at the clock it was only 12:30! i eventually went back to sleep for good, but it wasn't easy.
  • even though i rarely remember my dreams, i dreamed last night that i met this older man who i dated for a while (at least i think it was a while; i don't have a good sense of time when i dream). then he took me out to dinner one night and we went to this place that was reserved just for us; it was very romantic, and then he proposed. i accepted because i really liked him. then it came out that he didn't really have his shit together. (i don't really remember what was wrong w/ him.) now, i'm not sure if me in the dream knew this and was ok with it and my conscious mind got wind of it and didn't like it or what, but it was disconcerting nonetheless.
  • i'm trying to think of what i want to do for my birthday next month, but the only thing i can think of is going to dinner. that's so played out. then again, i don't really want to plan anything. on the real, all i want is some cake and ice cream!
  • my cell phone hasn't rang in almost 48 hours. well, i do turn it off when i'm in the office, but when i get home, it's like i don't even have a phone. that makes me a little sad.
  • so, i've been looking at a few African American Studies Ph.D. programs, and i'm disappointed in the lack of information on some sites (ahem... UMass). i mean, is it too much to ask to have say an updated link to current courses or perhaps a list of the professor's research interests? apps are due in 2 months and i still haven't decided if i'm going to apply. i first intended to apply to about 7, but well, i'm not into like that anymore. so, i think i'll do no more than 4 and call it a day. application fees are no joke and i'll have to pay to have my GRE scores sent as well. i'm thinking about just applying to schools that don't require GRE scores. granted, this limits me, but i know that Berkeley and UMass don't require them and both programs are top notch.
  • i don't know why i'm considering moving back to Cali. when i lived in Santa Barbara, i was pretty miserable. then again, every city in CA isn't like Santa Barbara. oh, wait, i forgot about how much i despised the time difference. i hardly ever talked to anyone on the east coast! lol... oh well, it's a price you have to pay.
  • i need to buy some new fall clothes. it seems like when i go and buy new clothes, i lose a little weight and some things just don't look right anymore. also, for some reason going clothes shopping doesn't excite me like it once would have. perhaps it's because i don't have the $$ to shop like i want, but it could also be that what's important to me is changing.
  • i'm supposed to go out for drinks with some of my co-workers tomorrow night, but i don't really want to go. i like all the people i work with, so that's not the issue. maybe i'll feel better about it in tomorrow.
  • for some reason i've been calling Mr. Ambitious a lot more than i normally would. it's strange because typically i can only really tolerate him in doses. however, last week he came over for several hours to work on these invitations for a party he's having in a few weeks and the next night i went to his house to finish the invitations. the next night, i found i kinda missed him. really, i think i'm just a little lonely. i really don't like living alone. it's boring.
ok, i'm finally sleepy, so i guess that means lights out for me...

15 comments:

Ladynay said...

Weird dream.

If all you want is icecream and cake next month, go for it! Nobody says you have to do anything you don't want to do!

At least you have to buy clothes due to weight loss other than the opposite.

When your phone don't ring, call someone *wink*

Freaky Deaky said...

Happy six month anniversary. Just say not to a Blogger break. Don't look at me like that. Yeah, me of all people just uttered that phrase.

So when's the anniversary of you becoming my house mistress? ;o)

Get some numbers or call people. Maybe people are afraid of you cutting them down or they just think you're too busy.

You said the apps are due in 2 months, when do the classes begin?

Shai said...

Butterfly, nice blog. I love butterflies too.

shereejoi said...

I need to go shopping but I hate shopping because when I do go I never find anything and I get very frustrated, all the cute stuff is not in my size it's in all the little sizes like size 0.

4EverJennayNay said...

I feel you on taking a break...
Obviously that's exactly what I've done. I'm not sure when I'll start back. But stuff happens, do you.

My Bday is the day after Christmas and its usually a big event where almost 15 to 20 of my closest friends from High School and back get together and go out for dinner and bowling. I'm not sure if that will happen this year because my bday is on like a Wednesday...

I've been considering some graduate programs. I think I will go back next fall, after I have some more experience under my belt. Being that I work a lot with No Child Left Behind, I have a fear of standardized test and am considering foregoing the GRE process.

blkbutterfly said...

ladynay:
yes, it was very strange. like i said, i hardly ever remember dreams, so it kinda sucks that the one i remembered would be like that.
ok, so i want cake and ice cream, and i'd like to enjoy it w/ a few friends, but i don't want to actually coordinate anything. lol... yeah, i'm being lazy.
that's true, i should be grateful for the little things.

freaky:
my face certainly did screw up at your comment. i was like, this dude went ghost and is trying to tell me not to do the same? uhm, ok... lol... but, i am hoping that i get some inspiration because i enjoy blogging.
hmmm... when is the anniversary? i'll have to look through your archives, but i think we're at 4 months or so, now. what do you think?
lol @ ppl being afraid of me cutting them down. that's so not true! as for calling ppl, i should have added this to my post. but, i find that i'm typically the one that calls ppl and that gets old quickly. it's be nice if ppl called me out of the blue from time to time.
as for the apps, school doesn't actually start until next fall. w/ doc programs, you have to apply so early because they also make decisions re: funding when (and if) you are admitted. also, some schools invite students to visit the school in the spring, so decisions are made by feb. to allow for that.

shai: thanks for stopping by! don't be a stranger.

shereejoi: when are you going to get a blog? you seem like you have some interesting things to say! in due time, huh? anyway, yeah, the clothes shopping can be such a headaches. it took me a while, but i finally pinpointed the stores that have what i need, at the price i can afford. i rarely venture out since i already know some places won't work for (or with) me.

4everjennaynay:
it's good to hear from you. breaks are good to take, esp. if you need it. i don't really know if i need to take a break from blogging.
oh, that sounds really nice. do i even have 15-20 close friends from high school? hmmm... probably not. :)
i feel you on standarized tests! i took the GRE, got my score right over i took it and almost cried when i saw the math score.

Freaky Deaky said...

What inspires you? If I can't give it to you then maybe someone reading can inspire you to keep blogging. I'd miss reading and flirting with you if you took a break but if that's what you need to do then you need to do what you have to do. Just don't forget to say goodbye to me and the kids before you take off. They always cry when you up and leave us. LOL! Okay, let me stop.

I'm awful at dates so I'll have to take your word for it. Maybe if I ever quit being lazy and figure out when it is I'll do a counter for it next year. I hope I don't give you a big head or anything. LOL!

I feel you. I only have one person that calls me on a regular basis. It'd be nice to hear some other people and have other conversations.

I'm sure you'll get into the school of your choice. If not tell me you want me to hit with a stick and it's done or I can just fire off a really nasty e-mail. :o)

blkbutterfly said...

hmmm... i think what inspires me is when i have something i need to get off my chest or if i read another blog and the blogger touches on something that i think is interesting and relates to me. lately i feel like my posts have been stale.
the kids always cry when i up and leave, huh? uhm, are you implying i'm a bad mother to our non-existent children?! how dare you? lol...
i'm usually pretty good w/ dates. for some reason, not this time. as for a big head, no, i won't get one. you'll probably say or do something quasi-mean to off set that. :-P if anything, the counter would make me laugh.
hmmm... if i don't get into the schools of my choice, i'll have you, my wonderful houseboy send off a strongly worded e-mail!

apprentice said...

Well I'd miss you cookie. Cake and ice cream sunds good to me. You could go for an ice cream party, lots of flavours and some great cake, and maybe a bottle or two of cava to inject a few bubbles.

On the college students I'd go for a short focused meeting once a week to check they're all singing from the same hymn sheet, plus it helps build team spirit. It hard when you're pressed yourself, but it can save time in the long run.

Happy 6 month anniversary. And I agree call someone, they're probably as busy as you.

Good luck with the college decisions

Freaky Deaky said...

I really hope you find some posts to inspire your blogging. I hope you don't go but I'll still wander about your blog to see if you're back. Just don't stay away long enough to make me look for another Blogger baby's mama.

No, how dare you? You just called our delusional blog babies, non-existent. I don't think I need to imply that you're a bad mother. LOL! You're making me laugh with your mean self. Have I ever said anything mean or even quasi-mean to you, Zora? You wound me. :o( I shall go weep now. Good day Zora! I said good day! [Storms off in a huff.]

blkbutterfly said...

apprentice: oh, i like that term of endearment. the pastor at the church where i grew up nicknamed his wife cookie. it was interesting b/c she didn't look like the type of woman who'd ever bear that nickname. but, i digress...
it's funny that you should mention the weekly meetings. we actually have those. well, my manager meets with them, but i put items on the agenda and follow up. so, in the meetings they all said they knew how to perform the task and had been doing it according to the directions i sent out. so, i'm thinking that there's a system error since what they have to do is web based. come to find out there isn't a technical problem, but that they didn't follow a key step. but, i must admit i have dropped the ball in following up w/ them. so, i've done a lot better lately.

fd:
oh, i didn't say i was leaving. i'm just thinking about it. oh, and i can't believe you're using my ploy against me... threatening to replace me, huh? we both know you'll never be able to find anyone as good as me! ;-)
yes, you have said something mean to me... remember that time when you... oh, wait, that wasn't mean. well, how about that time when you told me... damn! i can't think of anything. ok, so i take it back. you haven't said anything mean to me.

Julian said...

Yay @ you applying to grad school programs that you like! They sound interesting- keep us posted on the progress.

I'm trying to decide what to do for MY birthday (we have the same birthday- I think I noted that in a post of yours). I want to do something low key too- and I just want cake cause I'm a cake addict!

Roommates- you either love them or you don't- I don't, and it's always interesting to hear people talk about wanting a roommate because I don't understand the desire at all- lol. I'm an introvert and need a lot of time alone to "rejuvinate" myself- and because I talk to people all day I look forward to a bit of solitude at the end of the day.

And about the phone- NO ONE ever calls me- but I'm kinda okay with that- for the most part. There are some people that I'd like to hear from more than I do... And it seems like the people that do call are not the people I want to spend time talking to (aka my high maintenance friends that always call in crisis just because I'm a "counselor"...).

Happy 6month anniversary! The other day I thought about cutting back on blogging too because my life is so boring right now. We'll see what happens.

blkbutterfly said...

did i mention i haven't quite applied yet? lol... i don't know what the deal is, maybe deep down i really don't want to go. but, i do need to put my request for letters of rec out ASAP.

when i left my past living situation, i was sooo glad to be done w/ my roommate and her boyfriend. well, really it was the boyfriend. i'm actually pretty introverted as well, but i like for people to be around when i want to talk or have some entertainment. uhm, yeah, that sounds very selfish. go figure...

blkbutterfly said...

apprentice: oh, i like that term of endearment. the pastor at the church where i grew up nicknamed his wife cookie. it was interesting b/c she didn't look like the type of woman who'd ever bear that nickname. but, i digress...
it's funny that you should mention the weekly meetings. we actually have those. well, my manager meets with them, but i put items on the agenda and follow up. so, in the meetings they all said they knew how to perform the task and had been doing it according to the directions i sent out. so, i'm thinking that there's a system error since what they have to do is web based. come to find out there isn't a technical problem, but that they didn't follow a key step. but, i must admit i have dropped the ball in following up w/ them. so, i've done a lot better lately.

fd:
oh, i didn't say i was leaving. i'm just thinking about it. oh, and i can't believe you're using my ploy against me... threatening to replace me, huh? we both know you'll never be able to find anyone as good as me! ;-)
yes, you have said something mean to me... remember that time when you... oh, wait, that wasn't mean. well, how about that time when you told me... damn! i can't think of anything. ok, so i take it back. you haven't said anything mean to me.

blkbutterfly said...

ladynay:
yes, it was very strange. like i said, i hardly ever remember dreams, so it kinda sucks that the one i remembered would be like that.
ok, so i want cake and ice cream, and i'd like to enjoy it w/ a few friends, but i don't want to actually coordinate anything. lol... yeah, i'm being lazy.
that's true, i should be grateful for the little things.

freaky:
my face certainly did screw up at your comment. i was like, this dude went ghost and is trying to tell me not to do the same? uhm, ok... lol... but, i am hoping that i get some inspiration because i enjoy blogging.
hmmm... when is the anniversary? i'll have to look through your archives, but i think we're at 4 months or so, now. what do you think?
lol @ ppl being afraid of me cutting them down. that's so not true! as for calling ppl, i should have added this to my post. but, i find that i'm typically the one that calls ppl and that gets old quickly. it's be nice if ppl called me out of the blue from time to time.
as for the apps, school doesn't actually start until next fall. w/ doc programs, you have to apply so early because they also make decisions re: funding when (and if) you are admitted. also, some schools invite students to visit the school in the spring, so decisions are made by feb. to allow for that.

shai: thanks for stopping by! don't be a stranger.

shereejoi: when are you going to get a blog? you seem like you have some interesting things to say! in due time, huh? anyway, yeah, the clothes shopping can be such a headaches. it took me a while, but i finally pinpointed the stores that have what i need, at the price i can afford. i rarely venture out since i already know some places won't work for (or with) me.

4everjennaynay:
it's good to hear from you. breaks are good to take, esp. if you need it. i don't really know if i need to take a break from blogging.
oh, that sounds really nice. do i even have 15-20 close friends from high school? hmmm... probably not. :)
i feel you on standarized tests! i took the GRE, got my score right over i took it and almost cried when i saw the math score.